Meet Rachel Vercoe or as some of you might know her, @myhorsewillow. Rachel is not only an equestrian but an inspiration to many.
We have followed Rachel's equestrian journey for some time now and if your are not following her journey already, we HIGHLY recommend it. With over 100k followers on instagram, Rachel fills our feed with the CUTEST and REALEST content we love to see.
1. For those that don't know you, let us know a little bit about yourself, your horses and what you love about riding in a couple sentences.
I've always loved horses and knew one day when the time was right, I would have one. Then came Willow. Willow is my best friend and we've learnt so much together. We love to give everything a go but more than anything, enjoy getting out in the bush or heading to the beach for a good gallop. Last year I got a foal named Oakley who has been the funnest addition to my little fur family.
2. Most fond horsey memory, ever? With any horse!
It's hard to choose one! But I'd have to say it was the first time I went out for a ride on Willow with Oakley following along. It's pretty special to have my two horses out together.
3. Describe your perfect horsey day
Heading down to the beach on a hot summers day, cantering through the water and then ending the ride with a swim in the ocean together!
4. Now, who's got the bigger personality, Willow or Oakley?
Now that's hard to say, they're both absolute characters! Willow is the most loving and affectionate mare but also can be a sassy queen which I love. Oakley is a such a little dude, he loves a good gallop alternated with a solid nap. He's quirky, smart and brave for a little foal.
5. What's a view you wished everyone could share about horses and equestrian?
I wish being bitless was more common and accepted in horse events.
6. What's been the hardest part of your journey with Willow?
Keeping true to ourselves and way of riding. I love riding in a rope halter, bareback pad, saddle, whatever tack we have and just enjoying heading out in nature for a ride over any other type of riding. Some people have passed judgement because of this and sometimes it's hard not to feel affected by it.
7. What's been the most rewarding part of your journey with Willow?
I started Willow under saddle with the guidance of friends. So to be able to take her to any event and give it a go, always makes me so happy and proud.
8. For 27, you've been through a lot in your life so far, including a battle with breast cancer. What's a piece of life advice you live by?
Make time for the things you love. I've always made sure work isn't my whole life. But especially after cancer, I make sure I have time to do the things I love. That should always be a priority.
9. Finally, what made you choose to partner with Equipad?
When my Equipad saddle pads arrived, I was blown away by the quality. Then I tried on the breeches and base layers and felt the comfort of them! To top it off, the colours are gorgeous and flattering on all shades of horses. You can't ask for more than that.
You can find Rachel (Willow and Oakley of course) on Instagram and Youtube as @myhorsewillow
You won't regret it <3